At the end of December I began to rethink if my wedding dress paired with my cardigan would really be warm enough in February. The winter had come and I began to remember what that felt like. We had some really warm days in January and my hopes went up that maybe in February it wouldn’t be as cold as I’d thought. In the end I was so relieved to have sewn a real jacket for the wedding, because it was cold and it was raining.
Back in December I started planning the jacket. I searched the Internet for a fabric with a similar color to my wedding cardigan and after some while I found something that worked at stoffe.de (which is the same as fabrics.com). I found a dusky pink walkloden (I cannot find a translation for that..) 100 % wool. Don’t ask me why but I only ordered 1.6 m of it. 1.6 m for a jacket! Am I stupid or what?
To my defense I can say that at this time I didn’t know what i wanted to make. For a long time I was thinking cape. I already bought and printed two cape patterns when I realized that I didn’t want a cape. Maybe nice for a wedding But I was sure that I wouldn’t wear it afterwards. Plus I knew that 1.6 m is not much fabric not even for a cape and I had made a Minoru Jacket from less than 1.6 m.
So I chose to make another Sewaholic Minoru Jacket in size 6. It took my one evening only to lay out the pattern pieces, so that everything fit.
Again I wasn’t able to cut the inner collar piece from fashion fabric, so I cut it from lining. I had to cut the inner facings in two pieces and sew them together.
I didn’t even dream of making the hood. But I managed to cut pocket facings, a front facings and those sleeves flaps that I don’t know the correct translation to ;) Therefore I omitted the cuffs the pattern calls for.
The front facing is simply cut twice as wide as the facings next to the zipper. I had to cut the inner piece of them from lining fabric.
I made the jacket as long as the fabric amount allowed me and I like the length. I think it still looks good with flared skirts.
I again used an Interliner that keeps you warm and humidity out. I found that it worked wonders using it for my first Minoru Jacket. I could wear it all winter because it was warm enough and I didn’t get wet when it rained. Therefore it crackles a little when you move, but that gets better with time and really isn’t that bad and certainly no reason to pass on the effect it has.
I had a long search for a matching zipper. I wanted something with metal teeth in the same color the fabric has. I didn’t find anything. So I ordered one with plastic teeth but when it arrived the color differed from my fabric. So I looked out for a flannel lining in the same color as the zipper and didn’t find anything. Until I walked into a discounter who sold flannel bed sheets in that color ;) Yep, the inside of my wedding jacket is a bed sheet.
Only the sleeves are cut from sateen, which makes them glide better over my arms. I ordered that fabric and on the screen it looked like it matched, but well, as you can see it didn’t….
I hand sewed the hem to the lining so that I was able to make the jacket as long as I could. Also I like that there is no hem seam on the outside.
I think those are all of the things were I went astray from pattern and instructions. Everything else was worked according to the instructions.
Now I have posted about everything I want to post about concerning our wedding! Thanks for stopping by and reading, I hope you enjoyed following me through our special day.